Monday, January 24, 2011

Solved - problems copying files to a Mac from PC disk

My data recovery is all done on PCs.  Often though, the original disk is a Mac HFS+ disk, and the customer wants the data back on a Mac Drive.  My process for doing this is to recover the files to a PC drive (NTFS or FAT32) which a Mac will read. By using the AppleDouble format (with hidden ._ files) all resource forks are retained.  I then copy the files, using a Mac on to a customer disk.  I could have used a program such as MacDrive, but the last version I had did not retain resouce forks.
Most files copy without problems, and the resource fork is correct, but sometimes an error such as -
 
     "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items"

is displayed and the copying stops.  This is best described as a pain as the point of stopping has to be determined, and a copy restarted.  Eventually I tracked this down to the type of file and established the problem files had the file type 'slnk' or 'hlnk' in the resouce fork.  This was trying to associate the file with a program that may not present on the copying Mac.  The solution has been to remove this strings in the resouce fork and initial results now allow me to do a copy  in one stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment