Monday, November 28, 2011

Fake software

I recently needed to purchase another copy of Microsoft Office 2007 for a new laptop.  Being fairly expensive, I searched Amazon for a deal.  As the product has now been replaced with 2010 I hope to get some old stock.  I found a copy at about £175 and purchased.

I received the package very quickly, but the CD was warped, and would not load.  Having already got a package, I decided to load my old (and I think idenical CD) but use the new product code (registration number) to licence the software.  However, the product code was not valid.  After a very short correspondence with the supplier, I returned the package and received a full refund.

Attempt number 2 was no better.  This time, eBay.  The CD was good, product code worked when installing but when I came to online registration, I was told the code was a contfeit one. Again, the supply has promised to refund my purchase, and I have every confidence that this will happen.

My third attempt is as I have to pay the full cost, I have now purchased Office 2010 (just over £300) and am waiting for delivery.

One area that has surprised me is that both, probably fake items looked 100% genuine.  I compared every thing with with my original genuine item and the only difference was manufacture in Ireland rather than Singapore. The full refund did eventually arrive.

Moral, you get what you pay for - but office professional is a bit expensive these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment