Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Price of disk drives

I got a nasty shock yesterday when I cam to purchase a new disk drive.  I've had a few in house failures recently, and a few weeks ago I purchased a new 2TB Western Digital drive from PC World.  I was in a hurry for one so did not investigate much on price, but was happy with £79.99.  Yesterday, I required another one, and checked on line with my normal supplier and it looked like the £79.99 was in fact a very good price.  I drove back to PC World (about 10 miles away) only to discover that 2TB drives where now about £120. The best value I could see (GB per pound) was a 3TB WD Green drive for £169.99.

At check out I queried the price rise and was informed about floods in the Far East.  A bit of Google research later in the day suggested that the Western Digital plant may be under water.  There are press concerns about no availability, and price rises.

On drives, I personally like the WD Green range as they run very cool.  Speed may not be as fast as some, but as much of my work still includes a USB2.0 connection, speed is not a major issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment