Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not enough server storage is available to process this command

I recently upgraded an XP system to have a larger hard drive for data storage.  The new drive is a 1.5TB drive, replacing the previous 500GB drive.  The PC is about 5 years old but still works well, and has 3GB of RAM.

On a recent disk imaging process, it came up with errors writing to the drive.  It indicated not enough resources.  I tried a reboot (to clear down any untidy memory) but errors kept appearing.  I then tried writing from a different machine via the network.  This displayed the error message
"Not enough server storage is available to process this command".  As a second test I tried to copy a 350GB to the same drive.  After seconds, this Windows only command failed.

I determined that the error being returned was m_loSError 1130, or 0x46a 

The next stage was Google with this error message and sure enough I have not been the first to receive it.  Also, very nicely there is a fix by changing a registry setting. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101

Subsequent testing shows that the system is now stable, and I can copy a 350GB file to the same disk drive.  As a spin off, I have improved the error reporting of my software to assist with other users hitting he same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment