Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Windows 10 2004 update

I don't often comment on Microsoft because I actually like their products, in particular Visual Studio for C++.

My  main PC (Dell XPS desktop) is a few years old, but with a SSD drive and iCore 7 3.4GHz processor,  12GB RAM, still fine for I use it for.

I try and keep the software up to date and so downloaded the 2004 windows update.  I know there has been some bad press about it, but that was a few months ago.  I also have it running this update without problems on a few other PCs/laptops.  The download and install took a few hours, and all seemed OK when I logged in.  My PC is set to sleep if idle for 2 hours.

Normally coming out of sleep is a much faster process that that of it's owner, ie 5-10 seconds and all running well. This time, it did not show signs of waking up, so much so I ended up doing a forced power off.  Starting from cold was a very slow process, about 4-5 minutes, rather than the normal 30 seconds.  

I then did a test sleep, and this time was more patient.  The system eventually started after 3 about minutes, and ran as normal.

Google searching high lighted I was not alone, but none of the suggestions worked.  At the same time I kept losing screens from my 3 screen setup. I normally would have two, but on one occasion I only had one.

My eventual solution was to revert back to an earlier release (an option in Windows Update). This was a 'quick' process, a few minutes not hours. Everything is now as before.

I will wait a month or so before I retry this 2004 update.

No comments:

Post a Comment